Newborn Health: Spotlighting Innovations in Design Solutions
2019 Symposium by
Rwanda Pediatrics Association
Ministry of Health of Rwanda
March 29, 2019
Kigali Convention Centre, Rwanda
Newborn healthcare in East Africa is changing rapidly. Access to new technologies, adoption of more effective training, and progress in healthcare policy have helped to set the stage for unprecedented advances in care.
With a focus on design solutions through empirical studies, D-Rev, Rwanda Pediatric Association, and Rwanda Ministry of Health have partnered to convene leading neonatal practitioners, health policymakers, and innovators with the goal of improving newborn health outcomes in the region.
The symposium will bring together world-class healthcare experts with an emphasis on the neonatal health ecosystem in East Africa. Lead stakeholders will share lessons learned, recognize proven solutions, and promote future partnerships to strengthen the network of practitioners committed to raising awareness, promoting standards of care, and eliminating barriers to effective care in newborn health.
With an emphasis on innovation and impact, the symposium objectives are:
- Promote human-centered design in medical devices and health systems in maternal, newborn, and child health
- Share the results and key learnings of the 2018 phototherapy study in Rwanda conducted by Ketki Sheth, PhD (University of California, Merced, USA), in partnership with the Rwanda Ministry of Health, the Rwanda Pediatric Association, and D-Rev
- Discuss high-impact interventions that can address gaps in newborn health outcomes
- Provide a call to action for more interdisciplinary studies and partnerships to strengthen newborn health in the region
Rwanda Ministry of Health
The mission of the Ministry of Health is to provide and continually improve affordable promotive, preventive, curative and rehabilitative health care services of the highest quality, thereby contributing to the reduction of poverty and enhancing the general well-being of the population.
D-Rev exists to design and deliver medical technologies that close the quality healthcare gap for under-served populations. Our aim is to design market-driven solutions to ensure access to world-class, affordable products to the people who need them most.
Rwanda Paediatrics Association (RPA)
RPA’s mission is to promote quality preventive, curative, palliative and rehabilitative paediatric services; to enhance and disseminate evidence-based knowledge so as to improve policies and strategies for better paediatric practice. The RPA endeavors to advance child health advocacy, research, and continuous professional capacity development, in collaboration with other bodies in Rwanda, the region and beyond in addition to serving as an effective voice for its members.
- National & local policymakers of East Africa
- Pediatricians (public and private sector)
- Lead global & regional newborn health researchers
- Ministry of Health representatives of East African countries
- Health NGOs
- Medical device distributors
- Medical device and technology designers
Airlines that fly to Rwanda include, but are not limited to:
- Ethiopian Airlines
- Kenya Airways
- South African Airways
- Qatar Airways
- Turkish Airlines
- Brussels Airlines
Citizens from all countries can receive a 30 day visa upon arrival with no prior application
The symposium will be held at the Kigali Convention Centre adjacent to the Radisson Blu Hotel. Book directly through Radisson Blu to take advantage of a limited number of special room rates. Additional recommended hotels include Lemigo Hotel, Kigali Marriott Hotel, and Hotel Des Mille Collines.
Radisson Blu Hotel & Convention Centre
Telephone: +250 252 252 252
Thank You to Our Sponsors